Dynamics GP 2016 to
GP 18.4.xx Upgrade
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 R2 upgrade. Trust the professionals.
What you need to know:
Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 R1 and R2 (Version 16.x.xx ) are getting closer to being no longer supported by Microsoft (JULY 2022) . But GP Support North can and will support you and can perform your Dynamics GP 18.4 '2022' upgrade.
- Your GP 2015 version was released in May 2016 and will be ending Microsoft mainstream support in July 2021 - after which Microsoft will no longer be releasing service packs and updates such as payroll taxes.
- GP 2016 uses SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2014 or SQL Server 2016. The SQL Server 2012 and 2014 are both off of mainstream Microsoft support and present serious security and stability risks. SQL Server 2014 ended mainstream support in July 2019. Microsoft SQL Server 2016 ends mainstream support in July 2021.
- Also worth noting is the current operating system: Windows Server 2019 no longer supports VBA, which was popular at the time of your original implementation of Dynamics GP (Great Plains).
- Your version of Dynamics GP 2016 R2 is a few versions behind and may need to follow a multi-step upgrade path. This involves 1 or 2 upgrade 'hops' to intermediate versions before moving to the latest version of Microsoft Dynamics 18.4.xx (aka GP 2022). This process would include test upgrades and validation along the way before upgrading your production environment.
- Odds are you are using Management Reporter for corporate reporting. This toolset is still being supported with CU (Cumulative updates) from Microsoft. We can also recommend some Power BI analytics to complement your continued investment in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Some of your past customizations and integrations may need to be replaced with current out-of-the box functions or with other ISV add-on or customizations. As noted above VBA is no longer supported.
- Our team recommends that you upgrade to the latest Microsoft Dynamics GP 18.4.xx
With GP Support North you can Expect your GP upgrade to include:
- A proper assessment of your needs
- A scope and project plan to meet your objectives
- A technical upgrade including pre-production and live production upgrade
- Advisory Services to review opportunities for improvement including configuration, training and adoption of new functions.
Additional considerations for your Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 R2 upgrade to GP 18.4.xx
Given the age of your current ERP, we presume that there may have been factors that held back earlier upgrades. A focus on increased productivity as well as end-user training should be top of mind.
Additional strategic plans for the adoption of new features, functions and add-on applications is highly recommended:
- Approvals workflow via email for Purchase Requisitions, and Payables
- GP Security enhancements
- Enhanced BI, reporting, and budgeting processes
- Improved billing and revenue recognition
- Expense management
- AP automation
- PO automation
- eCommerce and vendor portals
- Cloud integrations
- Private Cloud Hosting (includes SQL Server, Windows Server and Remote Desktop access)